The basic function of the Maintenance Supervisor is that of a hands-on working supervisor, coordinating/assisting in the activities of budgeting, work scheduling, document control and regulatory requirements pertaining to the safe maintenance, repair, or replacement of plant equipment, systems, and controls, to ensure safety, uptime, and quality in production processes. This position must possess a working knowledge of maintenance within a manufacturing environment, be able to troubleshoot those functions, and have a good working knowledge of electronic controls and preventative maintenance programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, organize, and direct activities concerned with the maintenance of heavy industrial equipment, machines, facilities, and systems.
- Plan and organize work of the department to minimize unplanned downtime of production equipment, machinery, facilities and systems.
- Inspect and review maintenance activities to monitor compliance with all safety and environmental codes, regulations, permits, and company policies.
- Coordinate maintenance activities with production and materials managers
- Make recommendations for improving plant operations and solving maintenance-related problems.
- Supervise maintenance personnel
- Responsible for maintaining maintenance logs.
- Responsible for the creation, maintenance, and completion of work orders.
- Ensures that maintenance personnel is adequately trained and equipped, so work can be accomplished in a safe, timely, and cost-effective manner.
- Estimate materials and labor requirements for installation, repairs, or expenditures for capital or major maintenance projects.
- Contract with outside services as needed to satisfy the requirements for completing tasks in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Monitor operation of plant equipment and systems.
- Monitor the usage and inventory of spare parts, maintenance equipment, materials and supplies, and reorders when necessary to maintain adequate levels of stock.
- Ensure accurate time-keeping records are maintained for all staff under direct supervision.
- Perform annual Employee Performance Evaluations on direct reports
- To work safely following legislated and Bedford Technology safety rules and practices.
- Attend and participate fully in management meetings as required by the Engineering Manager
- To support open communications among all departments emphasizing a team approach. Convey and support a sense of community, commitment and respect with all employees
- Perform other duties as requested from time to time by the Engineering or Production Manager
Should have a 2 yr Associates degree in a related technical field or certificate or diploma from a certified trade school in a related technical field.
Should have a minimum of five years experience in a manufacturing environment in a supervisory level position.
Skill, Knowledge and Abilities
- Familiarity with CAD systems(s)
- Ability to read and interpret regulatory documents and technical manuals
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Demonstrable proficiency/familiarity with electronic controls (PLC’s, drives, etc.)
- Strong mechanical aptitude with experience in repairs and maintenance of processing equipment. Experience in plastic extrusion processes, welding, plumbing or machining.
- Language ability includes reading, writing, and the ability to communicate clearly on technical and business topics in English.
- Good computer skills, proficient in ms word, excel, outlook, etc.
- Standing, stooping and bending to inspect equipment within the production facility